Born in Kurgan in 1910.
From 1929 through 1934 studied under S. Gerasimov, D. Moor and V. Favorsky at Moscow’s VKhUTEIN and the Moscow Institute of Graphic Arts and Publishing.
In 1932 joined the MOSKh.
From 1931 exhibited his works.
Did paintings and graphic works but was better known as a book illustrator.
In 1981 was granted an honorary title of People’s Artist of the Soviet Union.
Died in Moscow in 1982.