Born in Saratov in 1893.
From 1905 to 1910 was a part time student of the Bogolyubovskoye Drawing School and attended private studios of Saratov.
In 1911-1913 attended the A.N. Grot art studio of Kharkov.
In 1913-1915 studied at the architecture department of the Higher Art School of the Academy of Arts and in 1915-1916 under M.V. Dobuzhinsky, Y.Y. Lanceray and A.Y. Yakovlev at St. Petersburg's New Art Studio.
From 1921 exhibited his works.
Associated with the 'World of Art' and 'Four Arts' groups and was among the organizers of the '13' group.
Died in Moscow in 1976.