Born in Aleksandrovsk-Grushevsky (now Shakhty, Rostov Region) in 1918.
Between 1940 and 1946 studied under A.A. Osmerkin and P.Y. Pavlinov at the Surikov Art Institute of Moscow and did post-graduate studies from 1946 to 1949.
From 1949 taught at his alma mater.
In 1946 joined the Moscow branch of the Artists Union (MOSKh).
From the 1940s exhibited his works.
In 1973 elected full member of the Russian Academy of Arts.
In 1973-1988 chaired the board of the USSR Artists Union.
In 1977 was granted the title of a People's Artist of the USSR.
Between 1992 and 1997 the president of the Russian Academy of Arts.
Did paintings and graphic works.
Died in Moscow in 1997.